Waldorf salad is a dish that Ren’s mother, Helen, made for every family dinner starting with Betty’s birthday in September and continuing through to Amy’s and Hilary’s in January. It’s so simple, and we love Red Delicious for this recipe.
- (3) large 3″ Red Delicious apples, unpeeled, cored, and cut into bite-sized chunks to make 3 cups
- ¾ Cup celery, thickly sliced
- ¾ Cup broken pecan pieces
- 1 ½ Cups seedless grapes, whole, if small; halved, if large
- ½ to 2/3 Cup salad dressing (like Miracle-Whip)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
Toss all ingredients to cover with dressing. May be made one to two hour ahead and refrigerated.